Sunday Funday would not be complete without Slow Cooker ribs to spice up the week ahead. This meal is perfect for a family looking to eat something outside the norm or even for celebrating a special occasion with loved ones. This meal is particularly satisfying and in this recipe you are guaranteed to have a fall-off-the-bone tender and insanely flavorful meal. The sauce can make anything taste good.
We also hear it goes very well with creamy mashed potatoes.
YIELDS: 5 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS TOTAL TIME: 9 HOURS 25 MINS
5 lb. bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. crush red pepper flakes (optional )
3 Carrots, medium, peeled and chopped into thirds
1 yellow onion, large, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
Toasted sesame seeds, for serving
2 green onions, thinly sliced, for serving
Cooked short grain white rice, for serving
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to slow cooker and pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, water, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- Add carrots and onions to pan, and cook, mixing occasionally until browned. Add garlic and ginger and brown until fragrant, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and deglaze with reserved soy sauce mixture, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Garnish short ribs with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Spoon sauce over rice and serve.