This is one meal I can tell you I enjoy no matter the country I am in. The Chicken Chow Mein can be made in under 30 mins it features comforting Chinese made with lean white meat protein, colourful vegetables, and stir-fried noodles tossed in a savory sauce. This recipe is restaurant quality so when you do make it don’t forget to tag us on our Facebook and Twitter
How to Make it
- Marinate the cut pieces of chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil to infuse flavor onto the surface of the protein for added flavor.
- Make sure to cut all the protein and vegetables in a consistent size, I recommend smaller pieces to encourage quick and even cooking.
- When cooking with a wok, make sure to have all the ingredients pre-portioned and ready to go. The stir-frying process happens very quickly and you don’t want your meal to overcook.
- Add a small amount of cornstarch or other thickening agent like arrowroot powder to help the chow mein sauce gain body and stick to the noodles when stir-frying.
- Fresh or dried chow mein noodles, lo mein, or thick spaghetti noodles can be used. Make sure to cook the noodles until al dente as it will continue to cook in the wok, you don’t want them to become mushy.
Cook the chicken first in hot oil to create a lightly golden surface. To get an extra layer of texture on the mean add a small amount of cornstarch. The lean poultry cooks in just a few minutes, then gets transferred to a plate so that it doesn’t dry out. Vegetables you can add for great taste: red cabbage, bean sprouts, and green onions maintain color and freshness. The ingredients should be crisp-tender to keep their crunch with each serving.
A huge thank you to Cafe Delights for the Recipe!